Saturday 23 March 2013

[Review] Butter Baked Goods

While I was looking for places to get yummy desserts in Vancouver, I came across Butter, and literally for years (probably since their opening) I've wanted to visit this store.

And finally that day came!


The moment I walked into the store I was in cuteness heaven.
Mint green counters, baby pink walls and floral wallpaper, how much cuter can it get.


Not only was the decor cute, it just so happened to be near Easter, so looking around their goodies, my eyes fell on the most adorable bunny s'mores and let me just tell you it was love at first sight...well maybe it wasn't that dramatic but you get what I mean.


So, I decided that I'll pick up some goodies later, but for now a nice brunch was in order.


Some tea with a gingersnaps-like cookie


Apparently they just started french toast, so I ordered the panettone bread french toast.
$10 and it came with strawberries and whipped cream (overall the portion was quite large)

I had high hopes but to be completely honest, I was really disappointed, and this was just okay.
I felt like the french toast wasn't sweet enough, even the bread which is supposed to be a bit sweet wasn't really, though it did have a nice flavor.
The strawberries were a bit sour as well and even the whipped cream wasn't that sweet, so overall it tasted very bland...
I'm not particularly a fan of overly sweet things and prefer sweets that are less sweet, but this was even far from that.


So, I was a bit discouraged, all that pent up excitement was slowly vanishing...
BUT, the rest of their goods did not disappoint, to say the least.


Homemade Oreos $2.75 a piece



Oh so good! The cookie was just the right amount of chewy and soft and soooo good.
It had a nice cocoa flavor without being too heavy and the cream inside was also delicious.
Usually, I find the factory made oreo to be too sweet but this was perfect.
After eating this, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat factory oreos.



Next up,
Red velvet whoopie pie $3.25

Once again, delicious!! 
The cookie portion was so fluffy and soft but also dense...if that makes sense.
The cream cheese cream filling was soooo good and complimented the cookie portion well.





I also picked up basics, like these two cupcakes

Vanilla cupcake and red velvet cupcake $2.75 each




So fluffy and soooo yummy.
Better cupcakes than well 'Cupcakes', which I honestly think is overrated and not even that good.
These cupcakes weren't overly sweet and was just right.
The cakes actually had a nice flavor for both and the creams were sooo yummy.




I also got some of their signature (I think) goodies.

Homemade marshmallow $6 for 10 pieces 


I got the toasted coconut flavor and let me just tell you, these were soooo soooo sooo soft!
Once I ate one they were soooo delicious I did not stop at just one.



Homemade s'mores $4.25

Yummy, yummy, yummy!
Graham cracker/cookie was so soft and flavorful.
Chocolate just right. 
Marshmallow soft and de-lish!




And lastly, some seasonal goodies.

Homemade s'mores, Easter version!
Strawberry bunny s'mores $5

Very yummy, the strawberry flavor was delicious and didn't taste like those artificial yucky stuff.


The only thing was, I split this with others, but if I had eaten the whole thing, I think it would've been a little too much in the sweetness department, but nonetheless delicious.


And of course, Easter sugar cookies $6 for both


I'm always weary of store bought sugar cookies because as I mentioned I don't like overly sweet things and I find that most store bought ones tend to be super sweet.
But these ones were not only delicious but they were just right, and also really cute!


Overall, Butter Baked Goods did not disappoint, and their goods were delicious!
The goodies may be very slightly on the pricier side but I definitely think it is worth it and I will be going back to get lots more!




Overall Experience
Service: 5/5 
(the staff were sooo nice and friendly)
Food: 4.5/5
Atmosphere: 5/5
(nice decor, despite being bustling with customers it still had a nice calm and warm atmosphere)




Butter Baked Goods and Cafe
4907 Mackenzie Street
(They are apparently opening a tea room soon as well)






Butter Baked Goods on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/451931/restaurant/Dunbar/Butter-Baked-Goods-Vancouver

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/14/10639/Vancouver/Katte-ni-Michelin.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/14/10639/Vancouver/Katte-ni-Michelin.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete