Friday 8 March 2013

[Review] edible flours

As you might be able to guess, YES, i do love food, and all things sweet...
well maybe not all,but my point is, I love baked goods <3


So, when I first walked by 'edible flours' I was a bit hesitant, since this store offers vegan sweets.
No, not just hesitant, I was dubious, how could sweets taste good without eggs, butter, etc.


Looks-wise, it looked really yummy, but all the creams have a slightly tan color
(I'm assuming it's from the soy)

I picked up these 4 cupcakes ($3.50 each)

Red Velvet

Mocha

Marshmallow

Brownie


Surprisingly, my favorite was the marshmallow.
I've never had vegan baked goods before so I had nothing to compare this experience to, but they were pretty good. 

I did find that the icing was a tad bit too sweet, but when eaten with the cupcake then it balanced it out (but even then it was a bit more sweeter than what I usually like).
I did also notice the icing tasted like kinako (roasted soybean flour), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I felt like it overwhelmed the flavor of the icing.
Texture-wise it was very interesting. As opposed to a light fluffy cupcake, it is more dense and chewy.

Overall, for my first time eating vegan cupcakes, it's not bad at all.
I probably won't go out of my way to buy these again but as an alternative it's pretty good.



Overall Experience:
Service: 5/5
(Very friendly and nice staff)
Food: 4/5
Atmosphere: 4/5
(Store seemed kind of empty)


edible flours
2280 West Broadway


Edible Flours on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment