Monday 14 January 2013

[Review] The Secret Garden Tea Company



A few days ago, I had my first ever high-tea experience at The Secret Garden Tea Company. I had heard pretty good reviews on this place so my friend and I decided to check it out on a Saturday afternoon.


Located in Kerrisdale, it's a cute little place with seating areas in the front and back. We made a reservation for their 12pm high tea slot (which I highly suggest doing, as the place was packed in no time) and was seated in the front area. The front area was great as the decor was really nice and though we weren't seated by the windows, we still had some good lighting. But, the only thing was, every time the door opened, cold air would rush in, being early January, it was so cold! 

As soon as we were seated, they gave us a sample of their tea of the month...which I wish I remembered the name of but it eludes me, but great tea! 


Sipping some of the sample tea, we looked through their menu to choose the tea that would accompany our high tea goodies!


We each got our own tea pot, I chose Darjeeling.


Soon followed three tiers of mouth watering goodness~


First tier: lemon tart, chocolate ganache cake, and a raspberry crumble.

Second tier: mini raisin scones.
Accompanied with some raspberry jam and Devonshire cream.


Third tier: mini sandwiches~
Croissant: Turkey with cranberry sauce, pin-wheel: egg salad & focaccia: reuben sandwich.


Initially, I didn't think the amount of food would make me full, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself content and full after finishing everything off.

Overall, the food was great but not excellent, but oh so yummy nonetheless. And for $35 (with tip and tax) I think it was definitely worth it. And most of all, the service is amazing, such friendly staff!


Last but not least, I couldn't resist and also grabbed some goodies for home.

Tea Sampler: $2.95 (2 packets inside)

Raisin scone and cheese scone: $3.25 each.
They were a good 15cm so very much worth the price.
I don't normally buy scones but after trying some, I just had to buy some more. They were so nice and moist and fluffy! (And the shapes were so cute!)
I also got the cheese scone to try, and I'm not particularly fond of cheese, but I actually really liked this scone as it wasn't too cheesy, but just had the right amount to give it flavour.


Overall Experience
Service: 5/5
Food: 4/5
Atmosphere: 4/5 
(When we were there, there was a very loud group that would erupt into laughter here and there...)




Secret Garden Tea Company
5559 West Boulevard (Kerrisdale)


Secret Garden Tea Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment